September 13, 2008

More details and pictures!

I finally have a few minutes to give more details on how Gavin came into the world! I was induced on Monday, September 8th at 4:00 pm and he was born the next morning, September 9th at 11:35 am. He was 6 lbs 10 oz and 22" long - he had a very rough entry into the world and had to spend the first 7 hours of his life in the NICU, which was heartbreaking for me - I didn't get to hold him until he was 4 hours old! He had a lot of stress during the delivery which caused meconium staining...basically he had his first bowel movement inside of me and it was going into his lungs...poor thing! He had to be taken away to get xrays and make sure there wasn't any signs of infection. Thank god all of the tests they did came back normal and he was released from the NICU and was able to be with me in my room at 6 pm that evening. He also is a little bit jaundice so we've had to take him in the last 2 days to have a test to make sure it's getting better and not any worse. Now that my milk has come in, he is eating like a champ and the jaundice is getting better! We have had him home for 2 days now and everything has gone relatively smoothly, I've gotten at least 5 hours of sleep both nights. Becoming a mom is the most amazing thing I have ever experienced in my entire life and I am so completely smitten with the little guy! I can't believe he is finally here!

Matt & I want to thank all of our friends and family for the support we have received and we are so lucky that Gavin has so many amazing people in his life and ours. Here are some pictures!

Holding daddy's hand.
First family picture.
Holding him for the first time.
Baby burrito!
He sleeps just like his daddy...mouth wide open!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad that things are going well now. thank goodness he is well and was able to join you so soon. congrats again. love all the pics. can't wait to meet him at hockey.

Anonymous said...

It is much more amazing to become a gramma than I ever imagined. Little Gavin was love at first sight to me! And I need my baby-fix EVERY day - much to Matt & Tawny's chagrin! :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the family, Gavin! Congratulations Matt and Tawny! He looks so handsome and you guys are going to be great parents. My advice, slow down more than ever and let go of all expectations! Can't wait to meet the little guy!
Love,
Heather

The Stemps said...

He's beautiful! I'm so glad everything turned out okay. You guys will be amazing parents. Now the fun really begins!!

Anonymous said...

I am glad everything came out ok. He is so- adorable. You look great too Tawni. I am so happy for you.